Bach by Candlelight
Time & Location
About the event
Bach by Candlelight is a divine selection of some of his highly spiritual, passionate and uplifting works.
The evening features the monumental Chaconne, with its hidden chorales mourning the death of his first wife, brought to the fore in this new arrangement, as well as chamber works and solo arias in a timeless expression of Bach's Lutheran faith. The programme is completed by the sacred Cantata 102, a deeply powerful piece calling for the repentance of sinners. The performers are joined by vocal students from the New Zealand School of Music Te Kōkī.
This ode to the great composer will be a highlight of the Festival.
- Sonata for flute and basso continuo in E major, BWV 1035
- Aria from Cantata BWV 11: Ach, bleibe doch
- Partita in D minor for solo violin, BWV 1004: Chaconne with chorales (arr. Helga Thoene)
- Aria from Cantata BWV 135: Troste mir, Jesu
- Aria from Cantata BWV 159: Es ist Vollbracht
- Aria from Cantata BWV 78: Wir eilen
- Prelude and Fugue in A minor for organ BWV 543
- Aria from Cantata BWV 115: Bete, bete
- Aria from Cantata BWV 146: Wie will ich mich freuen
- Cantata BWV 102 Herr, deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben
Emma Pearson Soprano
Rosemary Galton Mezzo
Declan Cudd Tenor
Wade Kernot Bass
Douglas Mews Harpsichord
Ko Candlelight tēnei me tāna whakaaturanga waiata. He kohinga waiata whakakokori i ngā tauwharewharenga o te ngākau, ko tētehi o ngā waiata, he reo huahuatau, ā, ko te kura huna, ko te apakura ki tana hoa rangatira, te tau o tana ate kua riro.